Friday, February 3, 2017

When Life Gets You Down

In class, we discussed Jacob in 2 Nephi 2: 1-2 . These verses of this chapter really stuck out to me because I felt that they are empowering when life is hard. The verses read: 

"And now, Jacob, I speak unto you: Thou art my firstborn in the days of my tribulation in the wilderness. And behold, in thy childhood thou hast suffered afflictions and much sorrow, because of the rudeness of thy brethren.

Nevertheless, Jacob, my firstborn in the wilderness, thou knowest the greatness of God; and he shall consecrate thine afflictions for thy gain." 

In these verses, Jacob is being told how he has lived a life full of afflictions and sorrow, but despite the hardship he has endured, he still knows the greatness of God and how these hardships are for Jacob's gain. 

During my life, I have had my fair share of afflictions, like most people do. One of my biggest hardships was when my mother and brother passed away a few years ago. This moment in my life was one of the hardest times and was when I felt close to the riverbank (refer to my past blog post here). I was no longer holding on to the rod because of the confusion that something so terrible could have happened to me. This moment was when I was filled with darkness and had lost hope. I didn't make any choices that made me let go of the rod, but instead I had started to lose faith. It wasn't until a lady in my ward, who had recently lost someone, testified of the church and the eternal family that I realized how blind I was being. This testimony opened my eyes and allowed me to soak in knowledge and faith from others.

The promise of an Eternal family became a light that guided me out of the river and back to the rod. When I finally was separated enough from the hardship that I had faced, I realized the greatness of God and knew he had taken my afflictions and turned them into strength and a stronger testimony in the Gospel. Just like Jacob, I suffered through my afflictions but come out of them stronger and allowed God to consecrate them for my again. I am eternally grateful for this gospel and for the testimonies that help us gain a stronger testimony. I know that this church is true and I know that the trials that I have been given have helped me gain a stronger testimony and grow closer to God. I am so happy that during that time of darkness, I found the light and chose to be like Jacob. 

Thank you for reading! 

xoxo

Caroline

No comments:

Post a Comment