For scripture study this week, I decided to apply some of the Relief Society Conference talks to my study. The one I am choosing to share is "Trust in the Lord and Lean Not" by Sister Bonnie H. Cordon, the Second Counselor of the Relief Society.
In her talk, she discusses the ways in which we can trust in the Lord instead of leaning away from him. The first example that she shared was scriptures. She shared that reading and studying your scriptures is a great way to avoid leaning away.
With this, I am reminded of the power of the scriptures and so I searched Book of Mormon scriptures on reading and studying the gospel. One of the examples I found was: Helaman 3: 29-30:
"29 Yea, we see that whosoever will may lay hold upon the word of God, which is quick and powerful, which shall divide asunder all the cunning and the snares and the wiles of the devil, and lead the man of Christ in a strait and narrow course across that everlasting gulf of misery which is prepared to engulf the wicked—
30 And land their souls, yea, their immortal souls, at the right hand of God in the kingdom of heaven, to sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and with Jacob, and with all our holy fathers, to go no more out."
In this scripture, we are told of the power of trusting in the word of God. The scripture shares that if you trust in the word of God, you will be able to avoid temptations of the devil. I have definitely found that the times in my life where I am actively studying the scriptures, I am less able to be tempted by the devil.
The next tool for trusting in the Lord that Sister Cordon shares is prayer. She says to trust the Lord through prayer. She shares a personal experience where prayer helped her. One of the scriptures that is footnoted in the talk is Moroni 7:48:
"48 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, pray unto the Father with all the energy of heart, that ye may be filled with this love, which he hath bestowed upon all who are true followers of his Son, Jesus Christ; that ye may become the sons of God; that when he shall appear we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is; that we may have this hope; that we may be purified even as he is pure. Amen."
In this scripture, it tells you to pray to God with your heart and that by doing so, you will be more like him and become more pure. This is a comforting message about the great powers of prayer and its ability to help us become better. During the semester, I often rush out in the morning and don't remember to pray. This is something I need to work on because I know there are benefits to prayer and this Moroni scripture shows that.
The last tool that Sister Cordon shares is service. She explains how it is beneficial to trust in the Lord and do service. Sister Cordon shares a heartfelt story about a woman who chose to serve others when she was battling cancer. The woman, Amy Wright, chose to spend the nights that she couldn't sleep, because of her cancer symptoms, looking for ordinances that could be done in the temple, or searching for others to help. Through this service, Amy was trusting in the Lord to help her as well.
One of the scriptures shared in this talk, in relation to service, was Mosiah 2:17:
"17 And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God."
This scripture is really popular, and that is because its message is so clear and true. I have found that when I serve others, I am growing closer to God. Sometimes in life, you are so busy and it can be hard to find time to serve others. But, if you trust in the Lord to help you when you sacrifice time to serve others, it will be beneficial. It is never a bad idea to serve others and you can do it in so many ways.
These three ideas that Sister Cordon presented: Scriptures, Prayer, Service; are all great ways to grow closer to the Lord and with each one, I have personally found that to be true. I am so grateful for Relief Society Conference and how it inspires me and also how it helps me in my personal scripture study!
Thanks for reading!
xoxo
caroline ferrell
No comments:
Post a Comment